Finding the right primary care physician is important Since this is the doctor that you will visit for the majority of your medical needs like wellness visits and non-emergent illnesses. This is also the person that you will speak to about any concerns you have.
[Related: How long does Strep Throat last?]
Choosing a Primary Care Physician
The relationship you have with your primary care doctor is extremely important. That’s why finding the right one is essential. Ideally, you should choose a provider that accepts your insurance. If you do not have insurance, visit HealthCare.gov to learn about your options.
You need to choose someone that you are comfortable with, someone you trust, and someone who has the expertise and experience to suit your needs. But how do you find the right one?
There are different types of primary care physicians. You should choose the one that best suits your medical needs.
- General Practice– These providers treat patients of any age and gender. This category often includes osteopaths, providers who use alternative medicine. They are distinguished by D.O. after their name instead of M.D.
- Internal Medicine– These providers treat adults and specialize in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of chronic conditions and diseases.
- Family Practice– These providers treat all ages, from newborns to elderly people. These general practitioners treat a wide variety of conditions and illnesses. If they cannot treat your condition, they will refer you to a specialist.
2. Referrals Ask your friends, family and co-workers for referrals. Most people feel more comfortable seeing a physician that is recommended by someone they know. If you are moving, your current provider can give you recommendations for a new provider in that area.
Remember to consider things like the location of the office, their business hours, and which hospitals they are affiliated with when searching for a new primary care physician. It is also important to ensure that there are no language barriers with the new physician.
4. Visit the Primary Care Physician
A face-to-face meeting is the best way to decide if you have found the right provider. Do you feel comfortable in the office? Are the nurses and provider friendly?
Be sure to discuss any current medications as well as your medical history with the provider. Other important things to note during your visit include:
- How are you greeted?
- How long is the wait?
- Are the phones answered in a timely manner?
- How far in advance do you have to book an appointment?
- Do you enjoy the demeanor of the staff?
Capital Medical Associates Voted Best Primary Care Physician in Washington DC
If you are searching for a new primary care physician, contact us today!